[OS X Emacs] cocoAspell and Aquamacs 1.3a

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:58:42 EDT 2008

> In the meantime, your best bet may be to copy the entire function
> definition for (aquamacs-configure-aspell) from /Applications/Aquamacs
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/aquamacs.el to your Preferences.el,
> and modify that to suit your needs.  To use the second alphabetically-listed
> dict-dir in ~/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/, you can change
> (car ;; use the first subdir in that path
> (nth 1 ;; use the second subdir in that path

Never mind all that...

I had missed a much simpler solution:  Set the environment variable
ASPELL_CONF yourself.  That's all aquamacs-configure-aspell does for you
anyway, but Aquamacs won't try to do so if the variable is already set.

I added this to my Preferences.el, and was able to use english spellchecking
even with the aspell6-de-20030222-1 dictionary also installed:

(setenv "ASPELL_CONF" "conf-dir
/Users/nathaniel/Library/Preferences/cocoAspell;dict-dir
/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0")

Good luck,
Nathaniel