[OS X Emacs] Emacs make-frame-on-display not working

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 4 19:13:37 EST 2008

Am 04.11.2008 um 18:35 schrieb pdfinn:

> ssh -XL 6000:remoteHost:6000 -l user -N remoteHost

-Y is recommended. Did you check that -N is necessary?

> And this will avoid messing around with the DISPLAY environmental
> variable on the remote computer?

No, it won't! You're running already an X server on your local host.
It will be something like :0. The remote host will have another
number, :1 perhaps, or :0.1.

> Am I correct in thinking this /does not/ require an opening in the OSX
> firewall for port 6000, since ssh catch the packets before they are
> filtered?

I don't think so. SSH is just another application. The ssh programme
has the -v or -vv or -vvv option to find the cause of a failure.
There can also be restrictions from the ssh configuration files on
local and on remote host!

I'm no OpenSSH guru. You'll find on the regular GNU Emacs list
mailto:help-gnu-emacs at gnu.org better support.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh.