[OS X Emacs] Overriding emacs-rails included with Aquamacs

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:58:05 EST 2008

On 11 Nov 2008, at 21:09, Chap Lovejoy wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas how to get my version to load properly?
> I've temporarily removed the one from the app bundle, but I'd prefer
> to not do this so that I don't have a repeat of this problem when the
> app is updated.

Avdi has given you the answer.  You could also directly load the
package (with "load" for instance), rather than just saying (require
'rails) (or whatever it is).

The question here is what the right thing to do would be for
Aquamacs.  If we add a preference to load user-provided functions, we
will almost certainly create situations of incompatibility, where
Aquamacs comes with a modified version of some package, or needs a
certain version number.  Emacs does not provide a systematic
versioning API so that you can't require a certain package version.
Other packages, such as "htmlize" have been extended in Aquamacs; if
you load a brand-new version of "htmlize" instead of the Aquamacs one,
then you will break printing.  (Rails is okay to update externally.)
In the end, it is up to us (well, more often than not: me) to
investigate user's reports, and if the packages they use aren't
somewhat predictable, then this becomes rather tricky.

This is the main reason why internal packages take precedence over
external ones, but of course this can be discussed.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!