[OS X Emacs] email with emacs?

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:00:58 EST 2008

Jochen> Hi,

>> Hi!   I use OSX 10.5 and Emacs Aquamacs.  I am wondering about using
>> Emacs to do my email.  Is it worth it?  Presently I use Gmail in
>> Firefox.

Jochen> what's wrong with Mail.app?

Jochen> I had used Gnus for many years. When I got my first Mac about two
Jochen> years ago, I continued to do that (Gnus in Aquamacs). It worked well.

Jochen> But fairly soon I realized that Mail.app and iCal and the Adressbook
Jochen> do the same job for me, but they are there anyway, are nicer, are
Jochen> better integrated into the system... I stopped using Gnus fairly
Jochen> quickly, although I have occasionally used it remotely on an Unix
Jochen> machine when my Mac wasn't around.

I use Mail.app to screen emails -- as it handles HTML emails well
and it is also very convenient to save attachments,... however for
composing emails, I prefer to use VM in Aquamacs.  Alas, VM does not come
with Aquamacs and one has to install it separately.  Also it seems
that VM is being maintained by people of the XEmacs persuasion and
a lot -- certainly more than I feel able to do -- would have perhaps
to be done to bring it under Aquamacs.  VM does integrate nicely with BBDB
and being in Emacs is infinitely customisable.  To mention but one
of the many things I like about it: it can set the outgoing mail
server automatically depending on location, which is very convenient
for me as I travel a lot.

Anyway, I hesitate to answer the original question because this is a
case where your mileage will vary, but in my case it certainly is.

Cheers,
José

--
Prof José M Figueroa-O'Farrill  | Room JCMB 6321
Maxwell Institute and           | Phone: +44 (0) 131 6505066