[OS X Emacs] email with emacs?

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Wed Nov 19 17:54:01 EST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Jochen Küpper wrote:
>> Hi!   I use OSX 10.5 and Emacs Aquamacs.  I am wondering about
>> using Emacs to do my email.  Is it worth it?  Presently I use Gmail
>> in Firefox.
>
> what's wrong with Mail.app?
>
> I had used Gnus for many years. When I got my first Mac about two
> years ago, I continued to do that (Gnus in Aquamacs). It worked well.
>
> But fairly soon I realized that Mail.app and iCal and the Adressbook
> do the same job for me, but they are there anyway, are nicer, are
> better integrated into the system...

I'm not especially crazy about Mail.app (I prefer Thunderbird's
interface), but I'd have to say integration was the clincher for me.
I love the ability to mouse over a time/day/date in an email message
in Mail.app and just click to add an iCal event.  And Spotlight
integration is also terrific -- it is amazing at dredging up old
messages.  Excellent add-ins like MsgFiler (http://www.tow.com/
msgfiler), Letterbox (http://harnly.net/software/letterbox) and
GPGMail (http://tinyurl.com/2xzkk) also help to shore up some of
Mail.app's shortcomings.