[OS X Emacs] email with emacs?

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Thu Nov 20 15:10:29 EST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> Christopher Menzel schrieb:
>
>> I'm not especially crazy about Mail.app (I prefer Thunderbird's
>> interface), but I'd have to say integration was the clincher for
>> me.  I love the ability to mouse over a time/day/date in an email
>> message in Mail.app and just click to add an iCal event.
>
> You can do so, too, with Thunderbird and Lightning.

Well, yeah, sure; that is another way to get a level of OS integration
that you miss using Gnus or VM.

>> And Spotlight integration is also terrific
>
> You don't need that, as you can search Thunderbird which is much
> more reliable as Spotlight will ever be.

This is no doubt a matter of personally varying mileage, but I use
Thunderbird (with Lightning and Provider) on a Linux box at work and
have found its search facility to be (at best) no more powerful and
accurate than Spotlight.  Moreover, if you use Mail.app, then
(assuming you use the default option of storing local copies of your
IMAP folders) when you do a general Spotlight search, it will also
bring up your mail messages along with other data.  I've found these
integrated searches to be very useful.  There was a Spotlight plugin
for importing Thunderbird mail but it has had a lot of problems that I
believe are still not resolved.

-chris