AUCTEX Not loading...Was: Re: [OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.0 preview-1 available

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Aug 4 20:19:16 EDT 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 7:00 AM, David Reitter wrote:

> The Aquamacs Project today provided a preview release of Aquamacs
> 2.0, the text and code editor for the Mac based on GNU Emacs 23.1.
>
> Aquamacs 2.0 preview 1 introduces full Cocoa support and a number of
> associated features.  It is even faster and provides a smoother
> experience for Mac users.  Like the Mac version of Emacs 23.1, it is
> not yet as reliable and distributed as a preview only.  The download
> is available for direct download at
>
>                     http://aquamacs.org/download-preview.shtml

I thought I should try this out and kill another weird quirk I have
with my system.
I thought I should finally try to get rid of my .emacs file and go
with the build in defaults for Aquamacs Emacs (then try transitioning
to the new Aquamacs) because on sync I get an error "28:36: execution
error: File Emacs wasnâ\200\231t found."  Well, the syncing puts the
cursor at the right spot, so I'd been ignoring it. Ditching my hack of
a .emacs file which I don't even understand (It's stuff I've copied
and kept through multiple emacs versions and not documented) does
indeed get rid of this weird behavior. However, when I try to run the
new Aquamacs, AucTeX isn't loaded. If I put the old .emacs file back
and use Aquamacs, it now loads (go figure).

file (it's using the basic emacs TeX mode). I don't know that is't
just me because I tried another account and got the same lack of
AucTeX. Is this included in the new Aquamacs setup yet? (Am I writing
about a fake bug?).

It does seem faster in sync, btw.
Thanks,
Joe