[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs + BBDB or EDB

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill jose.figueroa at ipmu.jp
Thu Aug 6 21:20:26 EDT 2009

Enrico> I would like to add the package bbdb or edb.    I have the official
Enrico> GNU Emacs 2007 manual and have done some Googling.   The manual has
Enrico> nothing about installing packages and Google did not give me anything
Enrico> that I can understand :-)

Enrico> Is there a relatively simple way to add bbdb or another
Enrico> database to Aquamacs?

I use BBDB with Aquamacs, but it's an old version of BBDB because the
latest version (2.35 as of this writing) does not build on Mac OS X
because of a problem with spaces in the paths which I have not been
able to solve -- configure scripts are a mess to look at -- nor have I
managed to convince the current maintainer (Robert Widhopf-Fenk) to
look into it.

By the way, it's sad that VM and BBDB are in the hands of people who
use XEmacs and who seem totally uninterested in whether these packages
even build to be used with other variants of emacs.

I'm sorry that I don't know enough to get this package built and
chances are that anything I might get working on my machine might not
be exportable to other people anyway.

So the short answer is that yes, you can get BBDB working, but you're
essentially on your own.

Later,
	José

--
Professor José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill
Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe