[OS X Emacs] Re: Return of dired mode problems like in Aquaemacs 1.7

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 13 04:22:08 EDT 2009

Am 13.08.2009 um 04:51 schrieb Uwe Pieczynski:

> It is only some of the directories that cause the problem.
> I assume that there is again a problem with Umlaute (ÄÖÜäöüß).

You have two possible options with Emacs:

	• you can set dired-listing-switches to contain ``-w´´ and/or ``-v´´
which tell Apple's ls programme to print "raw" characters,
	• you can set dired-listing-switches to contain ``-N´´ or ``--literal
´´ which tells gls to print "raw" characters,
	• if you have real gls programme (from Fink or MacPorts) you can
tell dired to use 'gls --dired' (or 'gls -D') via the variable dired-
use-ls-dired.

Of course you can combine many option to one "word" as in ``-alw´´ or
``-ahlDN´´.

The other option is to set an environment variable LC_CTYPE which
points to an UTF-8 encoding, de_DE.UTF-8 for example ('locale -a'
will list all available ones). You can also set it in your init file:

	(setenv "LC_CTYPE" "UTF-8")

This will enable Emacs to handle the contents of all buffers as
Unicode, i.e., umlauts or other accented characters will be treated
as "normal" ones.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s²