[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs and autopair

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:12:58 EDT 2010

On Aug 2, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Ieyasu Sugimoto wrote:

> I have the problem that when I enter one of the "special brackets { } or [ ], then the brackets are not added, but instead the minibuffer gives the error message "wrong type argument: characterp, 134217784" ({) or "wrong type argument: characterp, 134217785" (}) or "wrong type argument: characterp, 134217781" {[} or "wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782" (]).
>
> The thing is I am using a German Keyboard which also might be the culprit. I have posted the problem already to the developer of autopair, who now has the question whether autopair works with Aquamacs and English keyboards.

In addition to what has been said:  If you are using the Option-is-Meta default, consider using the German emulation mode.  If that doesn't work (and I can see why, looking at your error messages), consider using the right-hand side Command or Option key as Meta so that you can enter brackets etc. directly (without the emulation mode).

An even better solution, in my experience, is to switch to an English keyboard.  Keyboards are a cheap commodity.  Your time is not, and neither is your health.