[OS X Emacs] input methods in emacs 23 ?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Feb 7 10:36:53 EST 2010

Am 07.02.2010 um 13:55 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:

> I followed the instructions in nexstep/INSTALL:
> ./configure --with-ns

OK. So it's the (NS) Emacs.app.

>>> and after setting Option to behave as on the Mac I can't seem to
>>> access the "\" sign (which is Option-¥ on a my JIS Mac kb) for
>>> combinations like C-\.
>>
>> Do you have some "input method" active? Which in Emacs and which in
>> Mac OS X? Does it work to input in *scratch* buffer C-q Opt-¥? What
>> do you see? What do you see after typing the same when you change
>> Emacs' and Mac OS X's "input methods?"
>
> It seems that I have no input method active in Emacs and that the
> OSX method is the US standard on my JIS keyboard (ie French through
> Alt+keys),
>
> C-q Opt-¥ gives me \ in *scratch*
>
> I don't see any difference since I don't use Emacs input methods.

So it should work to access C-\ – although I don't see any sense in
toggling an input method inside Emacs, it's better done with Mac OS X.
(On my German keyboard \ is Option-Shift-7 or Option-/.)

Here are my settings:

mac-command-modifier is a variable defined in `ns-win.el'.
Its value is super		;; seems useless without modifying the key map
table accordingly

   This variable is an alias for `ns-command-modifier'.

Documentation:
This variable describes the behavior of the command key.
Set to control, meta, alt, super, or hyper means it is taken to be
that key.

mac-control-modifier is a variable defined in `ns-win.el'.
Its value is control

   This variable is an alias for `ns-control-modifier'.

Documentation:
This variable describes the behavior of the control key.
Set to control, meta, alt, super, or hyper means it is taken to be
that key.

mac-function-modifier is a variable defined in `ns-win.el'.
Its value is none		;; don't want to get driven insane

   This variable is an alias for `ns-function-modifier'.

Documentation:
This variable describes the behavior of the function key (on laptops).
Set to control, meta, alt, super, or hyper means it is taken to be
that key.
Set to none means that the function key is not interpreted by Emacs at
all,
allowing it to be used at a lower level for accented character entry.

mac-option-modifier is a variable defined in `ns-win.el'.
Its value is none		;; I clearly need it for typing many characters

   This variable is an alias for `ns-alternate-modifier'.

Documentation:
This variable describes the behavior of the alternate or option key.
Set to control, meta, alt, super, or hyper means it is taken to be
that key.
Set to none means that the alternate / option key is not interpreted

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.