[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs windows to mac encoding

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 15 15:12:23 EST 2010

Am 15.02.2010 um 19:43 schrieb David Romano:

> I'm still not sure which coding to use, and no matter what I try,
> the ^M^M persist

There are three variants for the most common ISO Latin encodings: a
short or basic one with "no ending," one with a "-dos" ending and
another one with a "-mac" ending. The first one is meant for UNIX
files which have just a linefeed (LF) character (^J). Old and Classic
Mac files have just a carriage return (CR) at the end of lines. DOS
files have the best of both worlds: CRLF.

When you're using the -mac variant on this file, then CR will be
invisible. And LF too, but it will insert empty lines between those
with text.

When you're using the UNIX variant, then LF is "transparent" and CR is
displayed (presented) as ^M.

The MS Losedos Code Page 1250 stands for Extended European Microsoft
Windows Codepage (maybe it means it's not as cheap as CP850).
The MS Losedos Code Page 1251 is meant for use in a Cyrillic script
environment.
The MS Losedos Code Page 1252 stands for ANSI Microsoft Windows
Codepage. Maybe it's the most used one...

You can also look at the mode-line. Near its left edge the encoding
used is displayed. And you can operate with the mouse cursor on this
field...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?
				- Tom Stoppard