[OS X Emacs] More on *scratch*

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Fri Jun 4 15:40:13 EDT 2010

I'm getting a *scratch* buffer visible on screen, which I didn't used to get. How can I make it go away?

I found a somewhat similar question in last month's archives ("Turn off *scratch* buffer when Aquamacs starts"), but my situation is different enough I don't think the answers there apply.

Specifics:
 - I launch Aquamacs as a server / daemon (a "Startup Item")
 - I also sometimes launch it (when that one dies) from Trampoline

What was working before:
 - the first line of Preferences.el is "(iconify-frame)". Under "Aquamacs Emacs" (v.19), this minimized the *scratch* window down into the Dock.

What happens now (the bad):
 - When launched in either of the above-named ways, an (empty) *scratch* buffer/window/frame appears on screen, initially with the copyright statement in the minibuff (I normally click the red jujube on this window, which may be helpful in understanding the next item)
 - Additionally, when I open a new file via emacsclient, sometimes another *scratch* buffer/window/frame appears (as well as the expected file-visiting one). Sometimes not. I don't at this time understand what makes that difference.

What happens now (the good):
 - Even in cases where no *scratch* buff appears on screen after emacsclient-loads (that is, the "successful" loads, by my desires), I still do have a well-formed *scratch* buffer, as listed by electric-buffer-list. That is, my red-jujube close didn't delete the *scratch* buffer, it only deleted the visible window. This is all exactly as I would like it; the problem is that always-on-startup, sometimes-on-load *scratch* window.

My complete Preferences.el is attached, for the morbidly curious.

-==-
Jack Repenning
Chief Technology Officer
CollabNet, Inc.