[OS X Emacs] turning off frame-positions.el

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 10:57:25 EDT 2010

On Sep 18, 2010, at 9:04 AM, James Harkins wrote:

> I tried to customize-apropos, but couldn't find the option to disable jumping to the last position in the file when visiting it.

In addition to Tom's correct response:

save-place is a variable defined in `saveplace.el'.
Its value is t
Local in buffer changelog.tex<2>; global value is t

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.

Documentation:
Non-nil means automatically save place in each file.
This means when you visit a file, point goes to the last place
where it was when you previously visited the same file.
This variable is automatically buffer-local.

If you wish your place in any file to always be automatically saved,
simply put this in your `~/.emacs' file:

(setq-default save-place t)
(require 'saveplace)

or else use the Custom facility to set this option.

The original default (in GNU Emacs or in the package) was:
(nil)

You can customize this variable.