[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs / aquamacs cmd line / emacsclient

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 20:51:07 EDT 2010

On Sep 18, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Peter Portante wrote:

> I would like to be able to use the emacsclient with aquamacs. I know about the aquamacs command line perl script which invokes the “open” command, but that does not work with the command line subversion client:

For the emacsclient protocol, just use emacsclient.
If you install the command line tools (Tools menu), emacsclient should be installed, by default into /usr/bin, but you have the option ("Customize") to install into /usr/local/bin, which is not in everybody's path.

You can also call the emacsclient provided inside the Aquamacs.app application bundle.

Just don't use the emacsclient that comes with OS X - that's for Emacs 22.

Remember to start the server with M-x server-start.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this - it works for me and others.

PS.: Improvements to the "aquamacs" script would be welcome, e.g., we might go through emacsclient if Aquamacs and its server are running .