[OS X Emacs] A thicker cursor pointer in Aquamacs

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Aug 31 23:29:57 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 04:07:45PM -0600, siemsen at ucar.edu wrote:

> At first I thought the suggestion to use control-option-command-8
> was a joke, but it actually makes a kind of sense.  I could reset
> Aquamacs colors to dark-text-on-a-light-background, then hit
> control-option-command-8 every time I enter or leave Aquamacs.  It
> would achieve the goal - the sprite would change from dark grey to
> light grey.  But it would be disconcerting, to say the least, to
> switch to and from reverse video all the time.

Yes, it would be.

Without some 3d party add-on of which I am unaware, there's no way to
change the cursor colour except to go into reverse video.  I think the
Macish answer here is "don't have light text and dark background".  I
too find this braindead and wrong, but it seems to be part of the
design language of the Mac.  Usually when someone asks for this,
they're directed to Mousepose
(http://www.boinx.com/mousepose/overview/) or Mouse Locator
(http://www.2point5fish.com/index.html), from what I've seen.  They
don't do what you want, but at least you can find your pointer.

I think we're off the topic of MacOS X Emacsen, however, and into
general MacOS issues, so I'll shut up now.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.