[OS X Emacs] Size of curly single quotes

Piet van Oostrum piet at vanoostrum.org
Thu Sep 8 17:52:09 EDT 2011

I have submitted this report to the aquamacs-bugs mailing list
yesterday, but I can't find it in the archives. Is there a delay before
it is stored there? I have seen newer messages appearing in the archive.

In my Aquamacs the curly single quotes (curly apostrophes) don't display correctly. To replicate: create a new buffer and enter this text: ‘curly apostrophes’.

Firstly, the opening apostrophe is too low; it is about centered on the height of the lower case letters instead of on top. Moreover both the opening and the closing quotes seem too small compared with the rest of the font, although the closing quote sits on the proper height.
This has been the case in previous versions of Aquamacs also.
It also happens with different fonts, I have tried several ones and it doesn't make a difference.
I have made a screen dump with the font changed to Monaco 64pt, just to make it more visible. Normally I use 12pt. In this size the opening quote looks more like a centered dot, unless you use a magnifier. As comparison I have made a screen dump of the same text with the same font in TextEdit. Here the text is bigger overall, but also the quotes are bigger relative to the text.

The screen dumps are at http://www.pietvanoostrum.com/Images/Emacs.png and http://www.pietvanoostrum.com/Images/Textedit.png

This is Aquamacs Distribution 2.3a.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at vanoostrum.org>