[OS X Emacs] guess-TeX-master problem

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 15 14:33:17 EDT 2011

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.

As in my other post under this subject, I am aware of this solution. I only had to adjust the master.tex, not even example.tex to get it to work. I was just wondering if the guess-TeX-master approach is working or not [since it is on the wiki page]. Furthermore, it is considered "good practice" not to change the .tex files just to be able to compile them.

Cheers,

Marius

On 2011-09-15, at 20:27 , Thomas Käufl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 15. Sep 2011 um 10:45 schrieb Hofert Jan Marius:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I installed of Aquamacs 2.3a on a MacBook Pro 10.6.8. I was hoping
> > that the solution posted under the subject "Wiki code not working:
> > Symbol's function definition is       void: guess-TeX-master" worked
> > again, but it doesn't (and I don't know why). The goal is to get
> > Aquamacs to compile an example.tex document which does not have a
> > proper header but is simply a tex file included in a "master .tex
> > file", call it master.tex.
> >
> > Following the previous posts, I have these entries in
> > Preferences.el (just in case this has any influence on the problem,
> > I included other commands too (only those that also affect latex
> > mode; apart from that, I only have some R commands defined in
> > Preferences.el)):
>
> what about adding local variables to your files? At the end
> insert
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% coding: ...
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-master: <master file>
> %%% End:
>
> coding is not necessary. If you want, you can add mac-roman-mac.
>
> <master file>: t, if the variable is contained in the main file,
> the file containing the preamble etc. "<path to f>/<f>" in the other
> case. <f> must be the name of the main file (the suffix .tex
> omitted) and <path to f> a sequence of directories sucht that
> TeX can find it.
>
> Thomas
>
> ---
>
> BTW. I also have
>
> %% !TEX encoding = MacOSRoman
> %!TEX root = <master file>
>
> at the beginning of my latex files, so that TeXShop works.

ETH Zurich
Dr. Marius Hofert
RiskLab, Department of Mathematics
HG E 65.2