[OS X Emacs] Select all: how to *not* jump to the beginning of the file + how to not change the selection?

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 20 05:30:53 EDT 2011

Dear all,

If I either hit Command-A or C-x h to select all text in a buffer, the cursor jumps to the beginning of a file. This is quite annoying when you want to, e.g., indent the whole file (or apply some other function) and then want to continue to work on where you were before. How can I select the whole buffer content without jumping the the first line of the buffer?

Also, if everything is selected and I scroll down and up again, I see that the selection is only mad to the top line shown in the buffer. It's a bit hard to explain but selecting all and then scrolling a bit down in the file and up again shows that not all remains to be selected....

These two features I don't really understand. How can I select everything, not jumping away from where I was, and keeping everything selected no matter where I scroll?

Cheers,

Marius