[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:56:58 EDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> With respect to starting R see:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AquamacsFAQ#toc17

This hint is questionable.  There is usually no need to start X11 for R, given that one can open a graphics window with quartz().  I only need X when R insists on firing up a Tcl/Tk UI, such as when installing packages and selecting mirror servers from within R.

M-x R RET will start R within Emacs.

R from a *shell* buffer works fine for me - the error message quoted is odd, coming from Emacs.