[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:30:18 EDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:

> Okay, I also tried eshell. With shell, eshell, and term, I can drag-in folders, but that just opens a new tab showing the path to the folder and its contents. Is there any simple way to get just the file path?

Yes, there is.

Aquamacs comes with smart-dnd, which allows you to add a handler for drag-and-drop events for just shell-mode.  This is how dragging and dropping into LaTeX and HTML buffers works.  The manual comes with the package:

http://braeburn.aquamacs.org/code/master/aquamacs/src/site-lisp/smart-dnd.el

When you've written this and it works, post it here so others may benefit (and I'll probably add it to Aquamacs in that case).