[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 24 04:09:34 EDT 2011

Dear David,

I could figure out a minimal setup where the problem appears:

Preferences.el just looks like this:

;; This is the Aquamacs Preferences file.
;; Add Emacs-Lisp code here that should be executed whenever
;; you start Aquamacs Emacs. If errors occur, Aquamacs will stop
;; evaluating this file and print errors in the *Messags* buffer.
;; Use this file in place of ~/.emacs (which is loaded as well.)

;; enable drag and drop of files in the shell (or eshell)
;; see http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx
(defun smart-dnd-always-insert-file-name ()
"Setup `smart-dnd-mode' so that drag&drop always inserts the file path."
(smart-dnd-setup '((".*" . "\"%r\""))))
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'smart-dnd-always-insert-file-name)
(add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook 'smart-dnd-always-insert-file-name)

Okay, assume you have a file foo.txt on your desktop and this is the only file open in Aquamacs. Then typing M-x shell opens up a shell. In the shell type a pwd shows /Users/<myusername>/Desktop. Fine. Assume there is a folder "myfolder" on the desktop and you want to navigate to it (via tab completion). So type in "cd myf" and hit tab. Okay *this* works.

But:

Assume you have Preferences.el open in Aquamacs and you type in M-x shell. Again, a shell opens as expected. A pwd again shows /Users/<myusername>/Desktop. Assume, as before, that you want to change to myfolder. But typing in "cd myf" + tab does not work [one receives "No completions of myf"]. I then typed in just "cd" and hit tab to see *what* completions are available. To my surprise, I obtained precisely the files and folders within /Users/<myusername>/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs.

This means that the file from which you open the shell plays a role. Indeed, it determines on which level tab completion works. But it's quite confusing that pwd shows that one is on the Desktop level while tab completion suggests that one is on the level of the file from which the shell was opened.

Cheers,

Marius