[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:20:02 EDT 2011

On Sep 24, 2011, at 6:53 PM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:

> 3) double-clicked on /Users/<myusername>/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el [recall that Preferences.el is *empty* [up to the default comments]]
> 4) this opened Aquamacs and displayed the scratch buffer and Preferences.el (the latter being active)
> 5) typed in M-x shell RET
> 6) this opened a new "tab" showing the shell
> 7) typed in pwd => we are in /Users/<myusername>/Desktop [as expected]

That's odd, given that you're starting the shell from the Preferences directory.  This is where we'd expect the working directory to be initially (and this works for me).  Where does "Desktop" come from?  This is not expected!  (Anything to that effect in your login shell script, e.g., ~/.bashrc / ~/.bash_profile ?

I can see from your screenshot that it's trying to complete from within the original directory, as one would expect.

Try "cd ~/", then try tab completion.