[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Sun Sep 25 06:47:12 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-25, at 12:42 , David Reitter wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:
>
>> okay, now a bell rings :-)
>> My .bashrc has a default "cd ~/Desktop" since I almost never go to the home directory but the Desktop. I remember some time ago a colleague called this a really stupid idea -- now I know why :-)
>
> Not sure if Emacs should be able to deal with this change in your configuration.
>
>> I removed that line from the .bashrc and now it's working as expected! I haven't checked with my own preferences yet, but that should not make a difference.
>>
>> *Many thanks* David!
>
> Sure.  I still don't understand what this has to do with the drag&drop changes, because that's what you initially said and never explained.

I thought that the problem "tab-completion-does-not-work-anymore" was a consequence of the "drag&drop"-code in Preferences.el. That's why I continued this thread.
Of course this was wrong, the tab-problem must have been there earlier, too, due to my .bashrc. *Sorry*

>> Out of curiosity: in one of your posts, you mentioned Aquamacs 3.*. I couldn't find anything on that version on the website. Is this "new" (alpha?)-version already available?
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?&q=Aquamacs%203.x

I wonder why I didn't find this, but okay, many thanks.

Cheers,

Marius