[OS X Emacs] dired-mode: how to navigate in only one buffer/tab?

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Tue Sep 27 16:23:52 EDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:

> I heard from a colleague that using "i" navigates in the same buffer. This is not too bad, but using "i" on ".." brings "Cannot operate on `.' or `..' "...

You can use "^" on . or "..". Doing it on ".." doesn't interpolate the contents into the same buffer; rather, it creates a new buffer showing only the parent. But from there you can use "i" and "^" freely within a single buffer. Play with it a bit to get comfortable.

-==-
Jack Repenning
Technologist
CollabNet Cloud Services