[OS X TeX] Warning - Find broken in TexShop 1.35b, no undo

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Thu Sep 2 15:26:14 EDT 2004

Hi Herb,

On Sep 2, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 9/2/04 12:56 PM, "Bob Kerstetter" <bkerstetter at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I assume you're using TeXShop 1.35.   When you are using Regex Find,
>> there is an option in the "More Options" pane called "Delimit by
>> Whitespace". When this is checked the Find searches for each word
>> separately. So if you search for:

<snip>

>> The regex panel is pretty cool. Very flexible. And a very sharp knife.
>> I did something similar to this on day one.
>>
>> Undo does work, but you have to switch to the text window to activate
>> it. This is different from the regular system-wide Find.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Is there a document that states and describes all the subtleties in
> the new
> Search/Replace Dialog?
>
> I had to do a global change of #RET# to |RET| in something like
> something
> like #RET##INS##RET# and it found the first #RET# but not the second
> one. It
> still seemed to do that with the ``Delimit by Whitespaces'' turned off.

I just changed

#RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET##RET#

|RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET||RET|

My settings were

FInd: #RET#
Replace: |RET|

Search Syntax: Simple Matching

Checked Options: Ignore Case, Wrap Search

Everything else unchecked.

I was going to attach an image of the panes, but thought better of
that. =:O

All the documentation appears to be in Japanese, seriously.

I used to use grep and Perl regex a bit -- as built into Nisus, BBedit
and some other editor for OS 9 -- but am certainly no expert in it. But
I am working on help text for the various switches for TeXShop.

 From here down or more than you asked for:

For limited help with the Perl OS X syntax go to the terminal and enter:

man perlrequick
     for Perl regular expressions quick start

man perlretut
     for Perl regular expressions tutorial

man  perlre
     for Perl regular expressions, the rest of the story

These are as useful/unuseful as most man pages, being a little cryptic.

Also this is a pretty good site for learning regex:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/

Also the book *Mastering Regular Expressions* by Jeffrey E. F. Friedl
(O'Reilly) is very good, but way overkill for my needs.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>