[OS X TeX] Re: emacs + auctex + TeXShop integration

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:30:45 EDT 2004

>> I would much rather edit in emacs, then press a key sequence
>> and have TeXShop format the file and display my output.
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> I've played around with this idea some, but not extensively.  If
>> someone has managed to figure it out, please let me know.
>>
>> Rick
>
>I'm not sure whether you can call on TeXShop to typeset a latex-file
>from inside emacs, but that's not really necessary. All TeXShop would
>be doing is calling the commandline programs (like pdflatex, etc.).
>So, the best way is to call those from inside emacs and use TeXShop as
>a viewer (which automagically updates the pdf display whenever there
>is a change).
>
>What I have been doing is using a perl program called latexmk to watch
>for changes in the source files (i.e. whenever I save in emacs) and
>then call on pdflatex, bibtex etc. to typeset a new version. As soon
>as TeXShop notices that there is a new version of the pdf-file, it
>updates its display. This way the only key combination I have to type
>is the save command in emacs.
>
>I describe this setup on my weblog:
><http://semantics-online.org/geek/2004/07/latexmk_and_texshop_automagic_pdfpreview_of_latex_documents>.
>
>This setup could also be used with other editors (such as TeXShop
>itself, in which case you don't need to press typeset but just save
>the changes in your source file, or BBEdit, etc.).
>
>-- Kai von Fintel

I tried this but had problems.  I even created a file called
.latexmkrc and placed it in my home directory.  In this file I put

$pdf_previewer = 'open -a TeXShop.app';
$pdf_update_method = 0;

latexmk complains

    Latexmk forked process: could not run the command
    "acroread foo.pdf"

I don't know why it wants to run Acrobat Reader and my knowledge of
Perl is minimal.

Rick
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>