[OS X TeX] Version 1.35c

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Sep 5 14:50:45 EDT 2004

I am sorry to sound like such a bearer of bad news, but I have just
been faced with an odd behaviour of TeXShop 1.35c (it may not be
specific to that version at all): double-clicking an old TeXShop file
from 2001, created with MacOSRoman encoding (while TeXShop was
currently set to use UTF-8), I got an error -10660 and TeXShop refused
to launch; opening some other files and attempting again to open this
file, I was successful but there was only an empty input window where
text should have been; opening again some other files, and going back
to this very file, suddenly I got a correct input window with text
displayed.

I could get no logical pattern out of that succession of events:

- in between opening all these files, I set the default encoding to
MacOSRoman and closed and opened TeXShop again, but that did'nt seem to
have an immediate effect;

- I noticed the file had creator "" while more recent TeXShop files
have creator "TeXs", and changed that with /Developer/Tools/SetFile,
but again that didn't seem to have any immediate effect;

- I noticed the file had Macintosh-style line endings while more recent
TeXShop files have Unix-style line endings, and changed that with
BBEdit, but again that didn't have any immediate effect;

- the only odd thing I noticed with this file is that, in ResEdit's
open window (I used ResEdit to check whether the file had a resource
fork -- it has none), the file appears with a folder icon instead of a
file icon; however, using "ls -l" in Terminal.app the file is confirmed
to be indeed a file, not a directory.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>