[OS X TeX] Next generation TeX

Chris Skeels Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 19:51:36 EDT 2004

On 07/09/2004, at 8:46 AM, ADITYA D TRIVEDI wrote:

<snip>

> 6) Faster TeX? TeX in a way acts like an interpreted language. If
> there is a way to compile different files in a binary format to
> improve speeds, that might help. This will help a great deal in large
> projects. I know about the \include and \includeonly statements.
> However a lot more in terms of speed is desired.

I certainly agree with this point but it is worth pointing out that it
is possible to build custom formats using initex.  For big projects,
where there may be many packages that are included in every run this
does provide very substantial speed gains.  For those who haven't seen
this before, the OzTeX manual gives a neat description.

Cheers, Chris.

Dr CL Skeels                                  Email:
Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Department of Economics           Tel:      +61-3-8344 3783
The University of Melbourne       Fax:    +61-3-8344 6899
VIC 3010
Australia

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>