[OS X TeX] Next generation TeX

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Tue Sep 7 23:34:17 EDT 2004

Consider me a heretic, but I'm not sure the next-generation TeX should
be TeX at all.  TeX was way ahead of it's time, and other technologies
still really haven't caught up.  TeX/LaTeX was initially focused on
typesetting math/science documents, and that is where it excels.
Nothing out there has replaced TeX in this arena, and I doubt many
could yet compete with TeX support of multiple languages either.

However, this does not mean that TeX should bloat into a powerpoint,
quark, acrobat replacement.  The requirements for general document
typesetting are extreme, and trying to extend the TeX infrastructure to
achieve this would be destined to fail IMO.  Is there a need for an
open-source, general, document formatting language?  Could one compete
with the commercial products?  I'm not sure the answer is yes to either
question, but if you do believe so I would suggest that extending TeX
would not be the optimal strategy.
TeX has survived and prospered because it fills a niche - a niche that
commercial products cannot find profitable.

I'd like to see TeX continue evolving as it has.  Adding a core set of
macros - LaTeX + CTAN.  Responding to new output formats - PDF, HTML.
Multi-language support.  High-quality fonts, especially in the math
arena.  A testbed for new ideas.   In other words, projects like LaTeX,
pdfTeX, hyperTeX, Omega, etc., which eventually mature enough to become
standard implementations.

-SM-

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>