[OS X TeX] TeXShop's %& ugly bug

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Fri Sep 10 06:43:08 EDT 2004

On 10 Sep 2004, at 7:37 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 10 sep 2004, at 11:55, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> On 10 Sep 2004, at 6:22 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to add that there should be no real reason to reinvent the
>>> wheel: emacs has added meta-data information to tex and other
>>> file-types for years. The important ones (master-file and
>>> character-encoding) are all there, and I think adding some
>>> application specific ones would not be horribly hard.
>>
>> Do you know the specifics of how this is done? Is it simply comments
>> at the top of the document, or instead a separate file with the
>> information inside? It does seem sensible to coerce emacs' method.
>
> A set of comments at the end of the file, I'd have to look up a sample
> somewhere to get at the specifics, but there are emacs users on this
> list (and even the porter of Carbon enhanced emacs hangs around here),
> and I think they can provide much more detailed answers of how emacs
> does things.

 From the AUCTeX documentation (v11.50, which I haven't even worked out
how to install yet), it looks something like this at the end of a file:
(couldn't find an example for the character encoding)

%%% Local Variables:
%%% TeX-master: "master"
%%% TeX-command-default: "SliTeX"
%%% End:

It's ugly enough that I'd be happy just re-implementing the %&
functionality to use a different prefix. I find the whole issue fairly
trivial, though.

>> This release of TeXShop seems more difficult than previous ones...
>
> Yup. I've switched to BBEdit and my own macros a long time ago... Once
> the specifics of the emacs solution are posted I'll attempt to
> integrate them with my scripts and publish those.

It occurs to me that tasks like these have probably been undertaken
many many times in the last 20 years...

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>