[OS X TeX] TeXShop's %& ugly bug

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Sep 10 06:59:42 EDT 2004

Le 10 sept. 04, à 12:07, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On 10 sep 2004, at 11:55, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> On 10 Sep 2004, at 6:22 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to add that there should be no real reason to reinvent the
>>> wheel: emacs has added meta-data information to tex and other
>>> file-types for years. The important ones (master-file and
>>> character-encoding) are all there, and I think adding some
>>> application specific ones would not be horribly hard.
>>
>> Do you know the specifics of how this is done? Is it simply comments
>> at the top of the document, or instead a separate file with the
>> information inside? It does seem sensible to coerce emacs' method.
>
> A set of comments at the end of the file, I'd have to look up a sample
> somewhere to get at the specifics, but there are emacs users on this
> list (and even the porter of Carbon enhanced emacs hangs around here),
> and I think they can provide much more detailed answers of how emacs
> does things.

While I disagree strongly with the tone of Jérôme's original message, I
agree with him on one thing: the logical place where such information
(format, encoding, etc.) would belong on Mac OS X would be inside a TeX
wrapper, in the same way as it lived inside the resource fork of the
TeX file on Mac OS Classic in Textures. It's a pity that the idea of
wrappers has not arisen more interest from other TeX developers than
Gerben and Jérôme.

Inside a wrapper there could also be the graphical files to be included
in the TeX document, QuickTime movies, etc., and the auxiliary files
created by (La)TeX. (But that would, probably, mean tools would have to
added to the TeX front-ends, to manipulate these files, save the PDF
output as a separate file, trash the aux files, import the graphics,
etc.)

This is the way Keynote files (actually wrappers) are organized.

That could also be a place where to put ancillary files used by a main
TeX document (.bib file, \include'd files), provided that would not
conflict with a more clever project structure (not being a programmer,
I don't use projects myself, and have no idea what kind of structures
Xcode and iTeXMac use for this purpose).

A wrapper would also be the place where to put information such as the
mognifications of the input and preview windows, the position of the
content of these windows, the font used in the input window, etc.
(again things that belonged to the resource fork of Mac OS Classic
files). For example, I use TeXShop and set the magnification of the
preview window generally to 200%; having a 17" screen, I put
side-by-side the input window on the left and the preview window on the
right; the preview window is too small to contain a full A4 page at
200%, so that I move its content to put the margins of the page out of
the window; because TeXShop sets the upper left corner of the page at
the upper left corner of the window each time a preview window is
opened, this means each time a TeX document is opened I have to move
around the content inside the preview window first, which is a bit
cumbersome; having these settings saved for each document would be more
comfortable.

But, of course, all this would mean one step further from
cross-platform compatibility, which is a concern.

FWIW,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>