[OS X TeX] bibtex/natbib

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Sun Sep 12 16:43:25 EDT 2004

Andy,

On Sep 12, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Andy Doller wrote:

> Ok,  after commenting out the entire offending chapter and
> uncommenting paragraph by paragraph - Latexing and bibtexing each time
> until bibtex gave the error.  I found a stray { in a \ensuremath{}. I
> don't know why latex actually worked beyond that point, but the
> figures and equations all came out right all except for generating the
> right aux files for the chapter.
>
> Of course it was in the last half of the chapter - should have started
> there.  I had not put that chapter in the \includeonly statement in a
> long time so I don't know when I broke it, obviously before I was
> concerned about references.
>
> At least I have a technique now for finding problems, just not a very
> quick one.

A faster variant on your search technique is to split the offending
file in half.  If the problem only occurs with one half, then discard
the other and split the bad half again.  This binary search technique
quickly eliminates more of the file from consideration.  Of course you
have to be a bit careful about where you make the splits to avoid
introducing new errors.

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>