[OS X TeX] The metadata is in the log file

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Tue Sep 14 03:36:10 EDT 2004

Le 14 sept. 04, à 06:03, Will Robertson a écrit :

> On 14 Sep 2004, at 6:26 AM, Joachim Kock wrote:
>
>> The slogan is that the metadata is in the log file!
>
> An implied root file. Very elegant!

It does not really solve the meta data problem because when you archive,
you generally trash all the .log, .aux and so on.
So when you later come back to this archive you have no available
metadata in the log because there is no log.

Moreover it relies on some de facto syntax of the log, which is not
documented at all and not officially supported.
If we ever happen to have a localized version of TeX, the log file will
be localized and the log file should be parsed accordingly.
Finally, if the format file is patched and decides to \wlog something
else this method is lost.

Finally, this trick seems extremely elegant as an hint when no other
information is available.
The question is now how does it cost to implement that?
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>