[OS X TeX] Moving to OS X finally

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 29 23:08:42 EDT 2004

On 9/29/04 9:55 PM, "Joachim Kock" <jkock at start.no> wrote:

> Furthermore a third combination is possible, and highly recommended, giving
> you the best of two worlds: you can control the fullblown unix tex from
> within AlphaX, and use an external viewer.  Then the output messages from
> tex rolls down in a special Alpha window just as they would roll down in a
> terminal or in the OzTeX console, and an external pdf viewer like TeXShop
> is spawned when the tex run is complete.  The advantage of this setup is
> that as much as possible takes place inside Alpha, where all your favourite
> keyboard shortcuts work; you can have very close interaction with tex;
> you can script and automatise; and Tcl developers invent fancy tricks and
> automatisation features not seen in other tex frontends.
>
> (I try hard to be objective but I'm afraid I can't hide my enthusiasm...)
>
> Cheers,
> Joachim.

Howdy,

I was an Alpha user many years ago, when I first switched over to a Mac, but
I've gotten used to the Mac style interface. Could you please answer a
couple of questions?

Are there completions to generate environments? E.g., "Ctl-X E" lets you
start to enter an environment name and shows you a list of completions. If
so, is it easy to extend/change the list of environments? If so, how? Do you
have to re-write some tcl commands and re-compile?

What do I have to do, within AlphaX, to get it running with pdflatex or
other "engines" (please forgive the TeXShop/iTeXMac style of reference) and
use TeXShop as a display engine?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>