[OS X TeX] Re: Opinions about ConTeXt

Patrick Gundlach pg at levana.de
Sun Feb 6 17:15:21 EST 2005

cormullion <cormullion at mac.com> writes:

> cormullion <cormullion at mac.com> said on 2005-02-05, 9:44 (-0000 GMT):
>
>> ConTeXt is already installed and it works fine in TeXShop
>
> I may have spoken too soon. I’m working through the manual(s), but things aren’t working as they say they should. So I’m wondering if my unmodified TeXShop/i-Installed version is complete...
>
> Take this simple file:
>
> %
> \setupinteraction %1
>     [status=start,

stat, not status

[...]

> This should work, but there are many errors:
>
> 1 No links or hyperlinks are active in the generated PDF.

\setupinteraction [state=start]

>  2 I can’t access any of the PostScript fonts, as the documentation says I can. Errors are this sort of thing:
>         This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>         kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-utmr8a
>
>         ! I can't find file `ec-utmr8a'.
>         <*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a

\usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

should do the trick for palatino.

http://contextgarden.net/Psnfss

> 3 Although a \placeindex command works, the \completeindex command
> seems to send pdfetex into a loop - it was running for 13 hours (I
> didn’t realise it had been running overnight, even though I’d quit
> TeXShop :-)).

Don't know about \placeindex and alike. If you want to learn more
about ConTeXt, you might want to subscribe to the ConTeXt mailinglist.

> So I’ve started to think that I don’t have a properly-configured
> installation of ConTeXt here. Can anyone help me by confirming or
> refuting that?

No, I bet your ConTeXt version is ok.

Patrick
--