[OS X TeX] My first problem with ps4pdf

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 7 17:05:18 EST 2005

On 2/7/05 1:03 PM, "Franck Pastor" <pastor at fusl.ac.be> wrote:

> I use pst-3dplot to do some 3d-drawings, and tried ps4pdf to make it
> run with pdflatex (with TeXShop and Herb Schulz's shell script).Taking
> an example from Herbert Voss's test files, I noticed that the z-axis is
> cropped, and the x, y, z labels of the axis has disappeared.
>
> Here is the file, only with the axes :
>
> \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage{ps4pdf}
> \PSforPDF{%
> \usepackage{pstricks}
> \usepackage{pst-3dplot}
> }
> \begin{document}
> \PSforPDF{%
> \begin{pspicture}(-6,-6)(6,6)
> \psset{unit=7.5cm,hiddenLine=true,drawCoor=true}
> \pstThreeDCoor[drawing=true, linewidth=1pt,linecolor=black,%
>  xMin=0,xMax=1.1, yMin=0,yMax=1.1, zMin=0,zMax=1.1]
> \end{pspicture}
> }
> \end{document}
>
> With the brand-new modified pdftricks from Herb, I've got no problem,
> the axes are fine. Hence the advantage to have more than one solution
> for something ;-)
>
> Does anyoone has an idea of what happened ?

Howdy,

I had to get the pst-xkey packagee to get things to compile but that just
took a few more minutes before I could try it.

Indeed, the method used to determine the BoundingBox in ps4pdf is failing in
this situation. I haven't had a chance to look in detail but it looks as
though the input produced by ps4pdf to the latex command has each graphic
set in a box and that is sent through the preview package which puts each
graphic on a page by itself in a single file. It appears that the box's size
is calculated incorrectly in this case.

The individual files produced by pdftricks are full page with one graphic
and one page in each file; the BoundingBox is actually set by the pdfcrop
command after the .pdf is generated. (Hmmm... What happens if you put too
large a graphic on a page?)

So far pdfcrop, as used by the modified pdftricks seems to do the best job
of determining the BoundingBox.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>