[OS X TeX] small trick on the command line

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 8 09:04:42 EST 2005

This is just a very small trick I wanted to share: I have been mucking
with lots of encodings and font descriptions lately, and I constantly
needed to find and open files in the different texmf.something trees.
Typing those long paths in the Terminal or navigating to these files in
the Finder proved pretty irritating after a while. So I began to type

open -a emacs `kpsewhich texnansi.enc`

Which means: let kpsewhich look for the file in question; it will spit
out the complete path, then the "open -a emacs" command will take this
path as an argument (the two ` around the kpsewhich are "backticks,"
that's important). Of course, replace "emacs" with another application
of your choice, or use "edit" to open the file in Textwrangler etc. If
you want to speed up things, you could define an alias (if you're using
tcsh) or function (bash or zsh) like so:

texopen () { open -a emacs `kpsewhich $@`; }

If you put this line into your .bashrc or .zshrc (and run "source
.bashrc"), you'll have a command "texopen" that will take one or more
filenames as an argument, locate them with kpsewhich and open them in
emacs.

Best

Thomas

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>