[OS X TeX] Re: OT: Pages from iWork

maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 9 06:19:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, John B.Thoo wrote:

> "Ralph Pöllath" <lists at poellath.org> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, the documents produced by Pages are bundles containing gzipped
> > XML files, so you might want to have a look at the XML.
>
> I've heard the term "MathML" tossed about before, but I know nothing
> about it.  Would "MathML" be applicable here?

MathML is just a markup systemfor describing mathematics in a document. It
follows the rules of XML, but other than that, it is just a markup system.
The big question is not whether MathML is applicaple, it probably is, if
Pages is ever going to support Math typesetting.

The question is whether Apple is ever going to support MathML in Pages. My
guess at the moment is: probably not, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

On a related rant: currently the text system in Mac OS X uses rtf for
styled text. I'd love it if they changed that to an XML based format, and
offer easy and integrated XML validation (XML Schema's and/or DTD) in the
process. That would make it a lot easier to write applications that can
easily and reliably exchange data.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>