[OS X TeX] OT: Pages from iWork

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Thu Feb 10 08:31:12 EST 2005

Simon Spiegel wrote:

>Getting OT here

Indeed...

>At the moment, Mellel is about the only really useable word processor for
>academic writing on the Mac IMO. Although it's a really cheap app done
>basically by two (!!) people, it seems to be the only app which aims to
>follow in Framemaker's footsteps It still misses some important features,
>but the features it has are generally very well thought out, and the next
>two updates will bring a lot of additional features. I'm really curious to
>see whether it can be replace LaTeX for before I finish my PhD thesis.

Largely agree. Also interesting will be how Publicon develops on OS X. At the moment it has a nice document model and is stable enough for use, but its restricted in terms of OS X citizenship in the same ways as Mathematica. If they get the OS X version "right", it could be a very strong contender. The LaTeX export is already pretty good. BibTeX import is flawless. I'm informed that new stylesheets will really beef up the book classes and that more publishers will be providing custom stylesheets for their journals. (At the moment there are only AMS, APS Phys Rev and BioMed Central.)

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>