[OS X TeX] TeXShop editor being too clever?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 14 15:59:58 EST 2005

On 2/14/05 2:30 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> Last week, after experiencing recurrent stability and performance
> problems, I did another Archive & Install of Panther, and also trashed
> all user preference files and caches in my home directory, leaving only
> the network settings and the mail directory, safari directory etc.
> untouched.
>
> Which means now I have to reconfigure all applications one by one, to
> feel at home with them again. Doing (or rather attempting to do) that,
> I noticed something strange with TeXShop: the editor seems to attempt
> being "smart", in that:
>
> - Every time a line is selected the first character of the next line is
> selected too, or the first tab in case the next line starts with a tab.
>
> - Sometime when attempting to select some characters the word
> containing these characters is selected automatically.
>
> And so forth. All the kind of "smart" features, similar to
> auto-completion, which have me hating Word definitely.
>
> I've looked in TeXShop for some preference switching this on, and which
> I would have forgotten to switch off again. I found none. Have I missed
> something obvious? Or is this a system-wide setting? Or am I simply
> getting paranoid?
>
> Thanks for any clue,
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I'm not seeing this behavior in TeXShop. I wonder if it has something to do
with the keyboard selection since I've only got English chosen in the
International Panel.

How are you selecting the line? If it is via Shift-DownArrow and your cursor
is one character in from the left side it will select up through the
corresponding point on the following line.

Could your mouse be a problem? If you get a click bounce it could be
interpreted as a double click so the word is selected.

Just trying to throw out things to look at.

Do you use your system for development? I wonder why you're finding
instability; it seems pretty much rock stable on my Powerbook. I just wish I
had a faster HD and more RAM; both coming in a couple of months.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>