[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1288 - 02/15/05

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 07:19:22 EST 2005

On 16 Feb 2005, at 01:00, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> Problems are more likely to be fixed if you file a bug at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61487&atid=497423 and provide
> a sample .bib and exact steps to reproduce the problem

Given that the problem involves data loss, it is appropriate to inform
this list.

To reproduce the problem, open the attached .bib file. BibDesk
correctly points out the invalid character in despeyroux-proof, but it
does not mention the undefined string in abadi-conjoining. Fix the
first error and click on Reopen, and it opens without further
complaint. Save, and you find that the line journal=toplas is gone.

Past versions of BibDesk reported undefined strings as errors. The lack
of complaint I took to mean that such string references would now be
left untouched.

The invalid characters, incidentally, came from another .bib file
manager, Auc-TeX I think, which thought it was "clever" to replace the
TeX accents by accented characters in some encoding.

Thanks for helping, and I do think BibDesk has the potential to be
great.

Larry Paulson

@ARTICLE{abadi-conjoining,
   author = {Mart{\'\i}n Abadi and Leslie Lamport},
   title = {Conjoining Specifications},
   journal = toplas,
   year = {1995},
   volume = {17},
   pages = {507-534},
   number = {3},
   month = may,
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{despeyroux-proof,
   author = {Jo‘lle Despeyroux},
   title = {Proof of translation in {N}atural {S}emantics},
   booktitle = {First Symp. on Logic In Computer Science, LICS '86},
   year = {1986},
   month = {June},
   publisher = {IEEE Computer Society},
   note = {Also appears as INRIA Research Report {RR}-514, April 1986},
   location = {Cambridge, MA},
}

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>