[OS X TeX] dots in Texshop

Tom Kiffe tom at kiffe.com
Wed Feb 16 18:21:19 EST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Aaron Jackson wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 16.02.2005 um 15:53 schrieb Alain Matthes:
>>
>>> I would like to understand in my
>>> relatively simple case why I do not see dots in texshop by using
>>> ghostscript.  Which is the reason?
>>
>> I tried all three Ghostscript based versions, i.e. ps2pdf12,
>> ps2pdf13, and ps2pdf14. The results were different in ps2pdf12, but
>> all were wrong, since the dots were not equally spaced on the lines.
>> It has to be an error in Ghostscript (8.14) ... At least all dots,
>> those from Panther and those from Ghostscript, seem to have the same
>> size at 500%.
>
> I have noticed the same thing in the past.  This is defiantly a bug
> somewhere, however the dots print properly regardless how you distill
> the file, so I have never considered it too much of a problem.
>
> Aaron

I don't think this problem is due to a bug in ghostscript but in
TeXShop, Preview, and TeXniscope, all of
which use Apple's PDF rendering routines. Regardless of the version of
ghostscript, 8.00-8.51, the dots
always appear in Acrobat Reader at 100% magnification and even less.

If I use Apple's pstopdf the dots begin to appear in TeXShop, Preview,
and TeXniscope at 120%. Of
course, pstopdf takes much, much longer to produce the PDF file. I, for
one, do not always trust
Apple's PDF. There were problems with font display in earlier versions
of OS X when using Apple's
routines.

Tom

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>