[OS X TeX] TeXShop, perl and utf-8 encoding problems

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 05:43:17 EST 2005

I have written a perl script that converts TeX-style accents (eg \"o)
to their equivalents (ö). This is to convert a large number of Textures
documents for use with TeXShop/XeTeX.

Most of the accents come through when TeXed by TeXShop/XeTeX, but there
are some problems such as ï and ç which do not appear in the
TeXShop/XeTeX PDF -- they are completely missing.

This is in spite of having %&encoding=utf-8 at the top of the file, and
having done a 'Save As...' using utf-8 as the output format and
overwriting the file.

I can open the perl-created files in BBEdit and save them out with
unicode/utf-8 encoding, but this changes the accented characters to
something else (ç becomes radical and German esset) which, however,
does typeset and display correctly with TeXShop/XeTeX.

If I open a new TeXShop document and type the characters 'çÇ', however,
and TeX the document with XeTeX and, say, Hoefler Text -- the
characters display correctly in the resulting PDF.

Is there something I can do to correct this behavior?

Thanks.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>