[OS X TeX] TeXShop, perl and utf-8 encoding problems

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Feb 20 08:13:00 EST 2005

On 20 Feb 2005, at 10:43 am, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I have written a perl script that converts TeX-style accents (eg \"o)
> to their equivalents (ö). This is to convert a large number of
> Textures documents for use with TeXShop/XeTeX.
>
> Most of the accents come through when TeXed by TeXShop/XeTeX, but
> there are some problems such as ï and ç which do not appear in the
> TeXShop/XeTeX PDF -- they are completely missing.
>
> <snip>

If I'm understanding the problem, it sounds as though Perl may not be
writing the output as Unicode (UTF-8). Are you specifically requesting
this in your script? E.g., with an open() call such as:
	open(OUTFILE, ">:utf8", $outFileName);
or by using the binmode() function to set the encoding layer of the
filehandle, once it's open.

JK
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>