[OS X TeX] Hevea

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 20 17:04:26 EST 2005

Hi Bernhard, and Gerben,

On 21/02/2005, at 2:52 AM, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20. Feb 2005, at 14:09, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> Actually, I will be investigating this. It will probably be easy for
>> me to add hevea as a sub-package to the TeX i-Package. Maybe I'll
>> first wait for people's opinion on Hevea. Is it reallly good? As good
>> as TeX4ht?

> I tried the HeVeA package (installation worked without problems,
> btw.); it seems to work very well with LaTeX files containing only
> text, but since I usually have at least some math in my documents, I
> prefer the way TeX4ht handles that (creating .png files for math
> expressions). HeVeA uses the symbol font for mathematical expressions,
> and I wasn't able to get this to work in Safari (though I didn't try
> too hard,

Yes, this agrees with my impression, after a quick look at the website.

The restriction to using 'Symbol' font is totally inadequate for
complicated mathematics. There the only real options are:
   images
   MathML
   Postscript/PDF

Doubtless Hevea some some things well, and use of the Symbol font works
well for simple mathematical expressions.  But you can get the same kind
of result using entities:  α  δ etc.
and allowing the browser to find the appropriate symbol to display.

LaTeX2HTML can build pages this way, though it doesn't do it by default.

>  I must admit, since to present documents containing a lot of math in
> the internet PDF is much better, so this might not be a big issue).
> A good thing about HeVeA is the way it breaks a large document into
> sections, and the possibility to include your own HTML headers. I
> don't know if this is so easy in TeX4ht.

LaTeX2HTML has always had these abilities.
Because it is written in Perl and interpreted on-the-fly,
you can (in principle) adjust any aspect of the translation process
and the HTML page-building.
With TeX4ht, you can only adjust according to the specific configuration
parameters that the program provides --- of which there are many.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>