[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Feb 21 11:11:29 EST 2005

> On Feb 20, 2005, at 14:01, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> I have updated the TeX i-Package and it should be tested by a few
>> people as it contains a few changes:
>> • TL2005 sources from Feb 19
>> • Still the same teTeX 3.0 for the main texmf tree
>> • TeX Live Master as the sources for many parts of the extras (gwTeX)
>> of Feb 19, 2005. This is important because the TeX Live master tree
>> has just been updated with the latest versions from CTAN. There is no
>> way I can kepe track of everything that has changed.
>>
>> Note: TL of Feb 19 contains the completely rewritten teTeX scripts
>> texconfig, updmap and fmtutil. The new functionality (per user setups,
>> including .fmt files and font maps) has been switched off in my
>> texmf.cnf until I have found a way to support old and new as well as
>> support per-system and per-user setup in my i-Package.

> I updated a set-up from about two months ago. I got the "A part of the
> package is missing" error, but the suggested "resetting to default
> properties" worked: I tried again and the installation proceeded
> without a hitch. Am I right and is the akward 3 times running of updmap
> eliminated?

It was already minimized (at some stage minimized too much ;-) but in
TL2005, you have the new updmap/fmtutil/texconfig tools that were
rewritten from scratch by Thomas Esser and he seems to have made them
smarter.

He has also created two ways of doing that TeX-setup management: one in
texmf.local (tools: texconfig-sys, updmap-sys, fmtutil-sys) and one in
your home directory (tools: texconfig, fmtutil, updmap). For the time
being, I have turned that functionality off by letting both versions work
in texmf.local while thinking about how to introduce and support that
change. For one, the personal version of fmtutil writes the .fmt files
somewhere in your home directory, which is logical, but als another 25MB
of stuff you would not like to backup.

I am thinking about supporting it with a choice during configuration phase
of the TeX i-Package: "For which user do you want to configure TeX?"
Choices: all individual users + "all users/system-wide" with the latter
the default.

The question is where to keep the configuration stuff (and the compiled
.fmt files) for each user. I find the HOME directory a bad idea. So I am
thinking about keeping it in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.localuser.username with a symlink in your
home directory (this is a different tree than ~/Library/texmf)

Still thinking...

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>