[OS X TeX] Carbon Emacs getting AUCTeX

Norman Gall ngall at ucalgary.ca
Mon Feb 21 19:39:34 EST 2005

On 21-Feb-05, at 16:31, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.02.2005 um 23:39 schrieb Norman Gall:
>
>>> One thing I've found is that the new Japanese Carbon Emacs comes
>>> without aspell dictionaries. If your own /sw/bin/aspell programme
>>> fails, there's another one in
>>> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin.
>>>

>> That one looks for libraries on /Volumes/Emacs
>
> Did you change at line #154: (setq ispell-program-name "aspell") to
> (setq ispell-program-name "/sw/bin/aspell") and change two line
> further the argument to become either the path to your aspell
> dictionaries or empty? Even when your own aspell works correctly it is
> misguided by line #156.

I did and it still gagged.

So, I thought to myself, what _exactly_ makes this emacs look where it
does for libraries, etc.? Well,
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/21.3.50/site-
lisp/site-start.el came to mind.

Looking at it, we find entries to load auctex, aspell, and eblook. I
commented these out and all was well. Pointing the ispell-program-name
at /sw/bin/aspell worked fine, and auctex was loaded. I am going to
check to see _exactly_ what is loaded and try to point everything out
of Emacs.app and into my own /usr/local and /sw trees.... at least
until the developer sorts things out.

Of course, I had to modify my .emacs slightly. This thing doesn't take
note of .MacOS/environments.plist. So I had to use the following:

(setenv "PATH"

"/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/
X11R6/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/Users/
gall/bin")

(setq exec-path (append exec-path
      '("/sw/bin"
        "/usr/local/bin"
        "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current")))

I would also add that since I use emacs installed through fink and I
like to isntall auctex, etc. myself, I have the following in my .emacs
as well.

(setq load-path
       (mapcar 'expand-file-name
               (append '(
			"~/.emacs-lisp"
                         "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
			)
		      load-path
		      )))

All is well now. I can hardly wait until the next release. :)

ng

--
Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>