[OS X TeX] migration from Fink to Gerben Wierda's TeX

Jesse Hamner jhamner at emory.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:15:44 EST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Andrei Sobolevskii wrote:

Greetings, Andrei:

> Please forgive me asking a question that may sound a bit arrogant.
> Recently I migrated from a Linux box to Mac OS X and installed TeX
> along with a number of other necessary utilities using the Fink
> distribution.  Now that the dust has settled, I started to ask myself
> if this choice was optimal.

As a multi-platform user myself, I understand that not being able to
install anything you want in /usr/bin or even /usr/local/bin (gtk+,
e.g.) can be a bit unsettling. Fink (and DarwinPorts) both take a
flexible approach to working around the limitations Apple imposes on
the end-users. I personally use DarwinPorts, but install most add-on
packages myself, if possible (gtk+ is NOT one of those packages, by the
way, and I had to install DarwinPorts to get gtk+).

> Thus the question: what could be advantages (if any) of migrating to
> Gerben Wierda's TeX?  Do you think it would be a good idea?  For one
> thing, it seems that the latter TeX distribution is supported better
> in terms of getting up-to-date packages.  Is that right?  On the other
> hand, nobody wants to destabilize an already working setup. Could both
> TeXs live together on my Mac without conflicts for some transitional
> period?  Did anybody perform this kind of migration?

Rather than risk trouble with two TeX installations, I took the
cowards' way out and uninstalled Fink before using Gerben's outstanding
i-installer. I had no trouble with installing TeX a second time.

I have a personal preference for Gerben's use of /usr/local/ for the
installs. Also, I think you are correct that GWTeX has "nicer" support
for add-on packages and is perhaps more aggressively maintained than
Fink's teTeX. The OS X TeX list will be helpful either way, but I think
most users have more experience with GWTeX (feel free to correct my
perceptions).

> it is my impression that with Gerben Wierda's TeX I am going to
> benefit more from Mac OS X's native support of Russian/Cyrillic type,
> including fonts.

A colleague of mine who studies Russian politics uses a Mac for this
reason. I hope your experience with the Mac's GUI will offset the
restrictions it places on you.

Jesse

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>