[OS X TeX] migration from Fink to Gerben Wierda's TeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Feb 22 17:17:13 EST 2005

Am 22.02.2005 um 22:56 schrieb Andrei Sobolevskii:

> Thus the question: what could be advantages (if any) of migrating to
> Gerben Wierda's TeX?  Do you think it would be a good idea?  For one
> thing, it seems that the latter TeX distribution is supported better
> in terms of getting up-to-date packages.  Is that right?  On the other
> hand, nobody wants to destabilize an already working setup. Could both
> TeXs live together on my Mac without conflicts for some transitional
> period?  Did anybody perform this kind of migration?

Although it will work to have both teTeX distributions (you only need
to handle $TEXMF and $PATH or $path, and this might be in shells and in
Emacs easier than in TeXShop), Gerben Wierda's i-Packages are a better
choice. Just look at the extra packages! And then possible bugs are
checked and corrected in a more direct way. These things are frankly
discussed in a list. And you don't need to upgrade, you'll never get
asked to do so. Have you tried in Fink *not* to update one package? At
least with the unstable software it's not easy ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>